Whenever we visited anyone for longer than 10 hours my mother always gifted the hosts with bottles filled with preserves and savoury noodle salads. As much as I loved the bottles I only appreciated their true value when I had my own household and there’s nothing to serve with the braai.
My kitchen skills are excessively limited to I came up with a different filling for my ‘bottles’.
The Bachelorette-party-in a-bottle is a quirky gift for the bride-to-be if you can’t make her bachelorette party. Alternatively it is a good way to include bridesmaids who live on the other side of the country/world.
You will need:
– Fabric or tissue paper square
– Broad cellotape
– A personalised label
– Bubble wrap
– ‘Filling’. Eg. single bottle shots, condoms, novelty lighter, tiny tiara, beauty queen sash, something X-rated, flash drive with a special playlist, inside jokes
- Wash the bottle a million times and ensure that it is dry.
- Wrap the single shot bottle(s) in a layer of bubble wrap.
- Place all the items in the bottle.
- Attached the label with the broad cellotape
- Cover the lid of the bottle with the fabric or tissue paper square and ribbon. To make it a little easier you can secure the square to the lid with an elastic band before adding the ribbon.
This Bachelorette-party-in a-bottle was Day One of an advent calendar for the week leading up to my lovely sister-in-law’s wedding. For everyday there’s a tiny gift for the bride-to-be. Let’s stop pretending to be adults and just admit that counting down the days like a 5 year old is AWESOME! Sister-in-law paid me the ultimate compliment when she told me that she actually stood up early to check the gift of the day on the public holiday before going back to sleep.
Because this particular bridal advent calendar is still underway I can’t reveal too much of it’s contents at this time.